tim hortons litter

stoplittering
good Sunday morning to everyone,

 I just finished my usual 2 km walk picking up trash along my section of the Cockshutt Road in Norfolk County. For about the last 2 years I have separated the tim hortons litter and kept. It is amazing how much waste I have collected.

 The trash can I have been storing it in is totally full. I have begun to fill large clear plastic bags.

 Any thoughts on how to use this as positive leverage against TH for the litter crisis their causing across Canada.

Thanks, Brett

Re: tim hortons litter

jkjanda
Hi!

I'm a first-year environmental studies student at the University of Waterloo. For one of my courses this semester, it requires that we do a group project where we address a Canadian environmental issue and come up with a strategy to solve it/make a positive impact. My group has decided to target and raise awareness about Tim Horton's coffee cup (and more) litter.

We know that it's a very difficult task nor is it profitable for a business like Tim Hortons to stop using disposable cups as they run on convenience. Thus, we would like to raise awareness about the environmental implication of litter as well as start a petition for Tim Hortons to start an initiative where they give customers a 10 cents discount for bringing their own mug just like Starbucks does giving Canadians an incentive to bring their own reusable mugs. We are very much in the planning stages for our little project right now.

If you could send us pictures of the amount of Tim Hortons waste you've picked up, perhaps we can use it to demonstrate to Canadians the magnitude of the issue. We are also looking to contact local politicians, university staff and students to endorse our petition. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome!

Yours truly,
Jagmit
jkjanda@edu.uwaterloo.ca

Re: tim hortons litter

Zero Waste Canada
Administrator
Dear Jagmit,

Thank you for reaching out. I’m excited to hear about your initiative. We’re also currently working on a petition in this respect and have shared a lot about the environmental impact of Tim Horton's campaign(s) on social media (feel free to check out the Zero Waste Canada’s FB page to learn more).

May I give you some additional ideas: We’re usually telling organizations to charge for single-use items (e.g. single-use coffee cups) rather than giving discounts for BYO (bring your own). Charging for single-use has shown to be a much more effective way of shifting behaviour (similar to charging for plastic bags at supermarkets). It's basic psychology. People don't want to "pay more than others."

If you reach out to Tim Horton’s customer service, be prepared to receive their standard response that goes something like this: “Tim Hortons relies entirely on our own advertising, research, marketing and product planning departments for the generation and development of new concepts, including our lids and cups.”

You could reference, for example, that RBI (the company owning Tim Horton’s as well as Burger King) has this sentence on their website about waste reduction “Reducing waste throughout our operations continues to be a key area of focus, for both our corporate facilities and across our restaurants."

So, feel free to reference this piece of information when you write to them and ask how this fits in with Tim Horton’s single-use promotions. ;-)

Also, if you want to get a lot of information on numbers in this regard, contact Greenpeace Canada and the Surfrider chapters. They tally branded waste during beach cleanups and publish those shocking numbers.

If you and your peers are cleaning up litter and want to magnify the impact, tweet these pictures (or share them on instagram) with the hashtag #isthisyours

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Connie Reichelsdorfer
Executive Director
Zero Waste Canada

Re: tim hortons litter

Gideon Gelbart
Some years back, TH and McD gave a iscount if you brought your own Reuseable cup, but then stopped. I had suggested to our Ont gov't that they "encourage" (not force as it causes a reaction) such companies by offering a small tax incentive, to bring back that program pointing out that the cost of the "encouragement" could be recouperated through less garbage on roads & in parks to be cleaned-up and disposed AND that it would help attract more tourism.  Never got any sort of reply.